Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Blending in


            From Day One in Paris, it’s been pretty easy to spot the American tourists.. Or any tourist in general.  Though I quickly accepted that there was no way I’d ever be mistaken for an actual Parisian, I did take a few steps to try to seem slightly less touristy.  I realized, though, that most of the things I was doing to try to fit in sort of bummed me out. The list is as follows:

I only used red or black fingernail polish.
I stopped smiling at people on the street/metro.
I never brought food on the street, even if I’d missed breakfast and really wanted a granola bar.
I only wore shorts once, and seriously regretted it.
I learned how to fake comprehension of French I didn’t understand.
I wore a lot of black.

Doing these things, I felt a little bit less like a sore thumb.  But I missed colorful fingernails and clothing.  I missed being friendly, or at least sharing a smile with strangers.  I felt pretty restricted, and I still didn’t really feel like I fit in with Paris.  I kept wishing I could tell the French to just, y’know.. Chill out a little.

1 comment:

  1. By the end of our stay I also felt like it was incredibly easy to spot the tourists in France. When I got home everyone asked me how people treated me and if the Parisians are really as mean as they say. Honestly, I felt that overall all the stereotypes are a bit too exaggerated. For instance, they weren't always mean on the metro. Multiple times I saw people get up to give their seat to a pregnant women, or help a mother with her stroller going up the many flights of stairs. But, there were moments where I also wanted to shake the French tell them to chill.... literally, chill. Seriously, how do they survive being packed like sardines in the metro on an 80 degree day with coats? I don't care if I look like tourist, I'm taking off my cardigan.

    ReplyDelete