Monday, August 31, 2015

Hatred in the Pompidou


When it comes to paintings, I tend to gravitate towards Matisse, Monet, Magritte, etc.  I like images I can make sense of, and I like things that have a sort of calm to them.  I am by no means saying that other more abstract forms of art are less remarkable, but I’m personally in favor of the aesthetically pleasing over the unsettling.  Thought provoking is great, but if I’m choosing something to put in my living room, it’s probably going to be on the more traditional side.  Boring and safe I may be, but I like looking at art that makes me happy and calms me down. 
Which is why when I saw La mi-été chez Georges by Jean-Paul Riopelle in the Pompidou, I immediately hated it.  It’s messy, abstract, and in my opinion displeasing to look at.  The colors are dark and muddled together, and I couldn’t see what was trying to be expressed.  I didn’t know what the artist wanted me to feel, other than unsettled.



            When I looked closer, I could see that there were some detailed pieces of color, and the texture of the piece was pretty incredible.  
So while I can say that the piece has some skill and intrigue, I still don't want to look at it.  Reviews have mentioned the line of white that twists its way through, possibly as a symbol of winter and snow.  I can appreciate the effort, but I just really hate this piece.


        

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing this one too in the Pompidou and feeling confused at why this is considered art. When reading about this work, I found out that it was given to the Centre Pompidou in memory of Matisse because Riopelle exhibited his work at the Pierre Matisse gallery in 1954. The composition is very odd, a cross, and is not typical for Riopelle's work. Perhaps, it's a more suitable way to showcase his message and his fascination for the white lines that create movement to this piece. This white line I think is symbolic of snow like you said because Riopelle had a lot of memories of snow being from Quebec.

    When looking through my pictures from the Pompidou just now, I found another painting that was messy and abstract much akin to Riopelle's style. This work was painted by Joan Mitchell, a Chicago born abstract expressionist, who just so happened to have a long relationship with Riopelle. I thought it was interesting to see the similarities in their work seeing as they probably influenced each other immensely during their time together.

    Here's a link to the painting by Mitchell that I was referring to: https://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/ressource.action?param.id=FR_R-4bafbba15311b73d8222d4fd807c20db&param.idSource=FR_O-d1df5be5b6f94bafc2836d8d64961f2

    ReplyDelete