Sunday, September 6, 2015

Thanks, Marseille.

It was hard for me to feel like I got a real idea of what Marseille is like from the time we spent there.  Being on the guided tour was great, and I liked seeing the streets and the sights, but it didn't leave me with a feeling of people there live.  I have a lot of pictures of graffiti, colorful buildings lining colorful streets, and the street market.  These images do lead me to think that Marseille is way more chilled out than Paris, for starters.  When I look back on it though (and I try to block out memories of that horrible hotel on the first night), I remember Marseille being pretty peaceful.  I mean, how could you not be tranquil with views like that?


Since most of us were together on the second day, everyone already knows about the hour hike in sandals and swimsuits. Surprising, hot, and a little difficult, yes, but totally worth it.  Personally, I love the entire memory.  We spent an hour under the sun with no music or texting or Facebook.  We wandered through trees and over rocks, up and down hills, passing people in hiking boots who looked way more comfortable than we were.  It was exhausting, but it was peaceful.  And, I might add, completely gorgeous.
Who could be unhappy while walking next to this?  Tired and thirsty and sunburned, sure, but still pretty cheerful.  The entire walk was breathtaking, and I wanted to stop every few minutes for a new picture and to be once again overwhelmed by the beauty around us.  Every few minutes the view was slightly different, and I felt like a little kid in Disney World. I just couldn't get over it. Finally, we reached the beach, equally beautiful, but now there was water we could actually get into.
So, in short, I still haven't stopped gushing about how beautiful it was in the city and out at sea.  I love the days when things are a little more peaceful and have a little more nature to balance out all the city days.  Marseille was exactly what I'd been needing at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment