Thursday, June 11, 2015

Cameras in Museums

 We have spent a lot of time in Museums with Chantel and in our spare time. For me, museums are one of the prime places for people watching. You can learn so much about people based on what strikes their fancy. What I noticed more than anything, though, was people and their cameras. There is nothing wrong with taking photos, but this was ridiculous. People would see a peace they were excited for or knew was famous, then run up to it, snap a photo, and walk away. PEOPLE DIDN’T EVEN STOP TO LOOK AT THINGS, ADMIRE THINGS. I did take a lot of photos on this trip, but after a couple weeks, I stopped taking photos of things, and only took them of people or once in a lifetime views. I noticed tourists in the museums seeing art only through a camera lens rather than truly appreciating and wondering about things.

I think that this is so sad for culture. Some of these paintings have stroked ideas and have been muses for many people, but the generation of the camera doesn’t give these things a second thought. They don’t take the time to enjoy and think about the works.

The same thing goes for lots of the landmarks that we saw. The beauty of Paris can not possibly be captured in a photo. Once I realized that a photo of the beautiful artwork on the ceilings of cathedrals did not even begin to give it justice, I spent more of my time just looking, observing. My grandma prefers the photos with me in it anyway.


I think it will be interesting to see if in time I regret making the decision not to take as many photos. I think I will be happy that I spent the time making and enjoying the experiences rather than worrying about something to look at later. Because cameras capture a lot, but its difficult to capture a lot of things.

1 comment:

  1. This same thought has crossed my mind man-a-time walking down the streets of Paris. Though I understand the desire to capture a finite memory, It seems to me that many people have taken it slightly too far..

    Many such tourists fail to engage in the culture they are observing behind a thick, glass lense. Rather than engolfing themselves in the culture, these people are detached to their surroundings. They are perhaps the furthest thing from what Baudelaire would consider Flaneur.

    By no means do I criticize photography. I think it is very normal to want to capture a moment, but i find it even more important to experience that moment.

    ReplyDelete