Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe- A modern spin

One of our last weeks in Paris, we visited the Centre Pompidou's modern art museum. The museum consisted of two floors, and there really was something for everyone. There were pieces that sort of spoke to me, reminded me of home, pieces that creeped me out, and pieces that were not, by any stretch of the imagination, art. 
One thing that the Centre Pompidou did for me was create a little more of an appreciation for modern art. It made me remember that this style of art was born from somewhere, and highly influenced by "historical art," if you will. While walking around the museum, I stumbled upon this pice:
This is Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe by Alain Jacquet painted in 1964. Now, if you don't recognize the association between this piece and the piece by Edouard Manet: congratulations, you personally gave Chantel a heart attack. For a reminder:
Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe- Edouard Manet- 1863
In Jacquet's interpretation of the painting, three of his friends pose in place of Manet's original models. Jacquet's style was known at MEC art (mechanical, apparently.) The models are wearing modern clothes, and appear to be in almost exactly the same position. The big difference here is that Jacquet's style blurs the painting (much like a pointillism style). Because Manet's piece was such a scandal about social and sexual ideals, it can only be assumed that Jacquet is attempting to make a statement about this as well. 

Art has no set meaning, no one is right. But here is MY interpretation:

I think that the blurred lines on Jacquet's reproduction are very powerful. It makes a statement saying that sexuality and social norms can no longer be produced as clear lines or "black and white." Lines will always be blurred in this area, no one is completely right, and no one gets to see the entire picture clearly at once. 

1 comment:

  1. I find your interpretation of the style as a mode of cencorship very interesting. I probably would not have drawn that same conclusion, however I can definatley see where youre coming from.

    What I find interesting about this piece is that its done in the pixilated, pop art style. It merges aspects of modern art with the style of mass media prints. I really love to see more contemporary pieces make reference to historical art. This is really a beautiful thing

    ReplyDelete