Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Pompidou is Excellent

I would not consider my time in Paris to be wasteful at all. In fact, I have been able to visit multiple historical and important world heritage sites such as: l’Arc de Triomphe, la Tour Eiffel, les Catacombes des Paris, including many other sites and different Art museums. And now I can add the Pompidou to that list as well. The Pompidou Center earns the distinct honor for being the only museum that I have visited to exhibit postmodern art which does not only include tradition paintings and sculptures. For that reason along with others, the Pompidou center does rate much higher on my personal rating for interesting Art museums. Continuing on that note, there were specific pieces that baffled me as how they could be considered to be postmodern or for that matter “art” at all. At the point that art was in during the 1970s and 80s there is nothing left to the imagination when artists end up drawing shapes and colors onto their canvas and call it art. Which brings to mind about how the value of art is placed, the people that determine the value of art are the art critiques. Those are the ones who hold the most authority of what is art and what is junk, or so you might think. The fact of the matter is that the persons who hold the most money that purchase works for huge prices, or the market, are the ones who place value upon the art. Which makes sense though since it’s those with the money which control most aspects of the world.



Notwithstanding of those with copious amounts of cash, there is a surprising amount of works at the Pompidou center which tickles my fancy such as the 16mm black and white film in a completely black room titled “Necropolis (The Lucifer Crank) for Anger, 2004” which had a surprising calming effect on me. The film was being constantly looped on a old time movie film projector which made that noise. I found myself staying in that room for longer than I had intended to, but it all worked out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment