Monday, July 13, 2015

Coulée verte René-Dumont

On my first day of school in Paris my host mom walked with me to the metro at Gare de Lyon, pointing out some of the highlights of my new neighborhood along the way. As we walked under a stone and brick archway she pointed out that there was a beautiful walking path that had been constructed on an old railway line. I had heard of the walkway, and in learning it was just a short walk down the street from my apartment I made it my goal to visit it as soon as I had the chance.


A few weeks into the trip the weather was finally nice, the flowers were blooming, and we had an afternoon off. That day I went home early, grabbed a book to read, and explored the elevated path. I took the time to take pictures of the scenery (pictured below) and got to enjoy the beautiful day reading my book (Paris in Love by: Eloisa James—A memoir composed of anecdotes about romance novelist Eloisa James’s year in Paris with her husband and two children.) Being a few stories above the busy Parisian streets felt like a retreat, yet at the same time I felt immersed in the Parisian way of life. There were young adults picnicking and drinking champagne with their friends, couples conversing on park benches, and runners getting in their daily bit of exercise.



Throughout the rest of my time in Paris I made several trips to the elevated walkway, and I walked under it nearly everyday. Below the arches there are a number of businesses including cafes, art galleries, and shops. The area is a tranquil escape in the 12th arrondissement that became a source of comfort and relaxation during my stay, and I would recommend a walk on Coulée verte René-Dumont to anyone looking for a little reprieve from the sounds and crowds of the city.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed my walk along the Coulée verte René-Dumont with you near the end of our stay in Paris. You were right, it was a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. I could see myself running on this path if I lived closer by. The ambiance and seclusion of this pathway was akin to what I felt when at the garden located at Pont Neuf: Square du Vert-Galant. At both of these places there was beautiful flowers and shrubbery as well as lots of benches throughout to take a rest along the way. I actually enjoyed this walkway more because it was less crowded and more secretive; as if only the true Parisians were privy to its whereabouts. After researching this pathway, I found out that the Coulée verte René-Dumont was the only elevated park in the world for a long time until New York created an elevated park in 2009. Chicago has also just recently completed an elevated park, Bloomingdale trail, which goes through the Logan Square area. I plan to check this park out when I return in the fall!

    ReplyDelete