Sunday, April 26, 2015

Getting used to it (again).

I woke up today not knowing what I was going to do. But, then it hit me that it’s Sunday. And so, like any other practicing Catholic I knew that I had to participate in a Sunday liturgy. There normally isn’t a problem with going to Church, except that I had no intention of getting up out of my bed. It’s only natural that I wouldn't willingly subject myself to the drastic change of temperature only a second away, its an evil that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Alas, this is something that we all have to face depending on the room temperature. Preparing for the worst, I checked the time and saw that it was already 10:30 in the morning. This meant that in order to not skip mass this week that I would have to get ready at max speed.
When I stepped out of door leading to the outside world I was prepared with my keys, wallet, and phone in my pocket with my umbrella in hand just in case. There was a different feeling that I had while walking outside, it was as if I was somewhere else. It was as if I never left the United States but at the same time was not really there. It was this same feeling that I experienced after living near Krakow for a couple of weeks one summer. The feeling that while I was in a different culture and surrounded by a language which I have only learnt about, this overwhelming feeling was gone. In fact, it didn’t cross my mind until after the mass was over and I was walking back home.
I have simply gotten used to living in Paris, that is, not that I have seen everything that there is to see but that there was something inside of me that wanted to experience something new and fresh. By experiencing Paris though eating lunch at a nearby café and walking around until I discover some new and peculiar thing are just a few of things that I have experienced but I am sure that there will be many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment