Saturday, April 18, 2015

"Un café, s'il vous plaît"

I think we all came into this program expecting to change in one way or another. We should become more knowledgeable about french history, art, and philosophy, and become better french speakers. We will probably change a bit in appearance, c'est la vie. And just like any new intellectual experience, the way we think and interact with the world around us will be shaped by our experiences here.

Some changes are less profound, but nonetheless important to consider. For me, it is a simple change in preference that has opened me up to a brand new world of beverages.

"Un café, s'il vous plaît" is not something I imagined myself saying while I was here. Every experience I have had with coffee so far has been more negative than positive. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it was never something I would order. Instead, I would order tea (don't worry, tea. I still love you).

So why did I start ordering coffee? One might think that it was an attempt to blend in with french culture. But I don't believe that to be the case. In reality, there was something about being in Paris that made coffee just seem...better. Yes, the coffee itself is probably better. But how was I to know that? I never drank more than a couple sips of American coffee at a time (just to see if I changed my mind). So the coffee here didn't appeal to me for that reason.

What's strange is that re-tasting coffee and having it be enjoyable might just be a phenomenon of environmental factors. Maybe it tastes good because everyone else is enjoying it too. Maybe it tastes good because I'm in a cozy café. Or maybe it's the adorable cups. Never underestimate presentation when it comes to food and drink, friends. All these things and more could have an influence on the perception of taste in my brain. Taste buds aren't the only thing that contribute to taste sensation. Consider the difference of the taste of your favorite macaron in a smelly metro station versus in the pâtisserie you purchased it from. Environment can make all the difference.

How can I tell if I genuinely like coffee, and not just the Parisian presentation of coffee? I guess I'll have to try it again when I return home. And good American coffee, not Starbucks crap (at least, I've heard it's crap, I wouldn't know). If I can enjoy it back home, where I'm not influenced by the romance of a foreign city, I'll know if my taste has truly changes. For now, I'll just enjoy drinking coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment