Sunday, April 12, 2015

Les nuages sur le jardin

As I walked through the gardens at Versailles, I was immediately struck by the aesthetic beauty and symmetry of the decor. The trees, perfectly equidistant from one another, create this air of regality expanding beyond the 
chateau. 



Though I admired the expansive gardens and exuberant decor, there seemed to be something dark looming over them. In the midst of grey skies, I began to contemplate the horrifying end to the French Aristocracy. Particularly, as we walked through Marie Antoinette's oversized playground was I reminded of the excessively luxurious lifestyles demanded by the Aristocracy. These grounds, though fantastic and extremely rich in history, seem to be a constant reminder of their overindulgence. 

As tourists shoot their photos and as couples stroll along the grass, I stand here, haunted by the realities that lie beneath this white pavement. 

Even into the evening, this thought had perpetually crossed my mind. As I ate diner with a few of my friends - native born Parisians - I asked them their opinion of this historical Aristocracy. In consensus, they expressed an overall admiration for their nation's past rulers. Having been spoon-fed democratic ideals since birth, this was quite shocking to me. It is incredible to me that one might be in favor of this centralized wealth and power, despite the welfare the citizens.


No comments:

Post a Comment