Sunday, April 12, 2015

The French Have Substance

It took me quite a while to finally choose a specific element to write about here in Paris; there is so much, overwhelmingly too much. Since I landed at CDG two weeks ago it has been nothing but a high peak of optimism, always wanting to see the next arrondissement, the next attraction, the next place of historical evidence. However, I can't help but feel the tiny pangs of homesickness and the frustration of not being able to clearly communicate with Parisians how I sometimes feel. There are some things about French culture that I absolutely appreciate, and some I don't really know how to feel yet.

I came to France having heard that the French strongly dislike Americans, and for me it was upsetting since it's not like I had a choice of my heritage, nor have I personally done anything wrong to the French. Shortly after arriving, however, I realized that the natives actually don't like tourists in general, which is something I can understand. At first, I encountered some rudeness, like I was a nuisance by simply approaching someone on the street to ask for directions in my nicest possible "Pardon, s'il vous plait?". Luckily, the more I practiced my french, the less annoyed people acted to pretend to help me, therefore boosting my confidence some.

I have come to really admire the French in comparison to the culture of which I am accustomed back home. So far everyone I have met is instantly not as open as the average American, despite the bisous exchanged (I'm convinced they only do it to be courteous, as some have no intention to be friends with you from there on out). But as soon as a conversation blossoms past the icebreaker of the basic "Where are you from?" and "How long are you staying?" questions, the French are more prone to discuss things that matter, such as art, history, political ideas, all based on my conversational experience thus far. For example, my host sister's birthday was just this week, and her celebration was a bit different to see. We gathered for a Sunday brunch, the family and her grandparents, and after toasting with wine each person at the table had prepared a short poem for the girl. It was truly beautiful; she was bawling at the end of their discourse.

Another typical French matter: couples everywhere. Maybe it's just Paris, the universal city of love, but I suppose it would be hard to say other cities in France aren't too different. Never have I ever been surrounded by so many couples who publicly display affection. All my life I have always loathed seeing or participating in such acts, but being in the midst of this historical landscape I guess opened my mind a little. Whether they are Parisian couples or not, what matters is the environment being equally accepting to those who choose to come here. To me, it means that the French are genuinely human, capable with the ability to love and not be ashamed of it.

The little things in culture shock are what make life in Paris unforgettable. Being able to relax outside on a restaurant terrace, people watching, cigarette in hand, waiting for more wine and another cheese platter will be one of the reasons I know I will enjoy these next couple months here in my new home. Parisians are difficult to understand at first, but I'm sure as hell glad they prefer Americans to the Brits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment