Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mornings and Greetings in Paris

Over the past few weeks I have begun to settle into my life in Paris. It’s still strange to think that I am in fact living in a city I had always dreamed of visiting. Though every day holds countless new experiences, I am also becoming used to certain routines. In the past week I’ve had to think less about navigating my way to the Metro for school each morning. In becoming accustomed to the routine of my morning walk, I have been able to fully take in all that is happening around me. Mornings in Paris have become a sort of fascination for me. 

As I walk down my street between 8 and 8:30am I pass directly in front of un école maternelle (nursery school) et un école elementaire (elementary school). {Here's a pretty useful wikipedia page I've referenced severeal times regarding the French school system} From every direction parents are walking hand in hand with their children, stopping to greet the other parents and children with le bise and a friendly conversation. Even after having dropped their children off, the parents stand around happily conversing with one another. The parents are clearly on their way to work, nicely dressed in business attire. I can’t help but think that this rarely happens in America. I was raised in suburban Minnesota, where going to school consisted of dropping kids off at before school daycares, letting the kids out in the carpool lane, or waving goodbye from a distance as the kids boarded the bus. Mornings in Paris seem much more personable, there’s no groggy half-assed nod to others as you drive away, coffee thermos in hand.

The way Parisians treat one another through greetings is something I’ve come to admire over the past few weeks. When my host mom arrives home after a long day at work her children greet her warmly with the bise. My host brother who is 11 years old gives my 19-year-old host sister several kisses on the cheek as we sit down at dinner. Greetings in Paris are so warm and welcomed, and it’s refreshing coming from the states. At home I rarely hug my younger brother, and if I were to welcome my parents each day with a kiss on the cheek they would probably be overtaken with shock. Personally, I think the French are doing it right. Their approach to greetings is much more friendly and it reiterates the importance of taking the time to appreciate the people in our lives.


Thus, mornings have become perhaps my favorite part of the day, which is quite the statement considering I am far from a morning person. Somehow walking down tree lined streets, weaving in and out of adorably dressed children and their well put together parents going through their rituals, greetings, and goodbyes makes me feel at home. It may be that it reminds me of the kids I nanny, or makes me nostalgic for my childhood days, but I think the most enjoyable part is to witness so much genuine and caring interaction between children, parents, and friends. If there’s one thing I miss about home it’s the ability to run into someone I’ve known for awhile while I’m out, or being able to meet up with a friend who knows me well. Seeing these interactions take place every morning helps to make me feel welcome and happy in a city so far away from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment