Tuesday, May 19, 2015

French rom-coms are almost worse than American rom-coms




Being someone who prides them-self on their dedication to pretentious foreign films, naturally I jumped on the opportunity to go to the cinema. When the group's consensus seemed to be on a French romantic comedy, I shrugged and bought my ticket. I wasn't expecting much, but than again, my expectations were not very high.

The premise essentially went as follows: A "quirky" piano teacher moves into a new apartment and starts talking to the man who lives behind her wall. Normal. They fall in love, out of love (all of this still occurring behind her wall), until he physically breaks down the wall, likely costing her thousands in fines from her landlord. But, you know, anything for love. 

Though I give this movie some props for creativity, it may have been the most painful thing i've had to sit through since my last dental appointment. If you're into that kind of thing, heres a link to the trailer. It's truly awful. 



 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rYhC1s2ZGzw

2 comments:

  1. During this "comedy," the large row of Americans were the only ones desperately laughing in the theatre. Later that evening I was speaking with one of the French friends I made, and he started talking about the symbolism in the movie. WITH A SERIOUS FACE! It is so interesting to me how cultures can perceive things in such different ways. They say that a smile is the international language, but the things that cause laughter change drastically between cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The variety in opinions on this movie just within the group of us who went to see it is very interesting in itself. We all critiqued the movie based on our own personal preferences, but as Carolyn pointed out, it seems we critiqued them with extremely American viewpoints. It's interesting how there can be such a difference within a culture, as well as between cultures. I personally really enjoyed the film, and that may have been because it was exactly what I was in the mood for. I thought it was funny, at times symbolic, and of course a bit cheesy. I don't think it was meant to be the most thought provoking or deeply symbolic movie of all time, and I think it served it's purpose as an entertaining rom-com. My first thought when it ended was that my friends in Chicago would enjoy it, and if I ever remember I may even consider getting myself a copy so I can show them, watch it again, and have it as a memento of my movie theater experience in Paris.

    ReplyDelete