Thursday, May 7, 2015

Wait...I do know some French

Paris can be overwhelming at times. It is difficult being in a place where I am unable to clearly communicate my feelings, emotions, and wants. I find myself doing charades at the dinner table when trying to explain to my host family what I meant to say, and I have to repeat myself often when I need something at the store. 
I think that sometimes I find myself missing Chicago for that reason. At least I know Chicago, and I am not labeled as foreign the minute I open my mouth. Anyway, this weekend several of us decided to go to Spain. And in Spain they speak Spanish. (Duh). If Spain taught me one thing, it is that I know absolutely no Spanish. At least in french I can ask for bread. I can understand almost everything people ask of me. I can understand almost all of the small talk that takes place near me at cafes, on the metro. This weekend was a confidence boost. When it seems like I know almost no French, it turns out that I do. 
Thinking about the language barrier in general; it is so humbling. You have to assimilate to the culture here, and most of us don’t have the vocabulary to reject. I have learned a lot about myself, and I have been forced to become much more of a go with the flow person. I learned to sit in a café and try to understand what people are saying, and I have most definitely gotten better at reading people’s emotions and facial expressions. I don’t think that I would have grown as much as a person if I was able to fluently speak the language.


No comments:

Post a Comment