Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Les Saints et Les Seins

While visiting Mont Saint Michel, I overheard a bit of french conversation that changed the way I think about the language. I was standing outside the abbey, waiting for my classmates to be done taking a bathroom break. Next to me was a small family with I believe two small children. I was looking out at the bay, so I don't remember family or their conversation in full detail. But part of their conversation went something like this:

Mom: *speaking about the abbey, mentions "les saints"*
Child #1: "Les seins???"
Mom: *clarifies that she means "saints", not "seins" (breasts)*
Child #2: *giggling* "Les seins des femmes!"

The moment passed quickly. If I hadn't tuned in when I did, I probably never would have heard it. But if it wasn't for my ever improving french phonetic skills, I never would have laughed. In that moment, it was obvious to me why "saints" and "seins" are pronounced the same: [sɛ̃]. Both words fit the rule for spelling the nasal vowel [ɛ̃] that I had learned in my phonetics class. I had just never realized this hilariously unfortunate similarity between the two words. How often has this sort of confusion occurred? How many times have francophone kids snickered in church or in school when hearing the word "saints"? These hilarious homonyms remind me of something Shakespeare might write, perhaps meaning "breasts" but spelling "saints" or vice versa. (Now that I think about it, perhaps a french writer has done something like this. I'll get back to you on that). I wonder if we have something similar in english, but my brain is drawing a blank. 

In the end, I developed a greater appreciation of my phonetic abilities. I firmly believe that it is impossible to communicate effectively without practicing correct pronunciation. Too often I hear american students slacking off in this department, and too often I see them fail at communicating something as simple as asking for water. The fact that a pronunciation class is only offered at a 300 level at DePaul might explain this issue. Not enough attention to pronunciation at the start allows students to learn words the wrong way and to develop bad habits. It's important that we all remember to keep learning. Ask someone if you're pronouncing it correctly. Try to speak your best french as much as possible. Listen closely to others. You might end up learning something new.

PS: Someone asked if I was from the Netherlands because I guess I had a dutch-sounding accent when I speak french. I found it extremely fascinating, and I was kind of proud that I at least didn't sound American. 

No comments:

Post a Comment