Sunday, May 17, 2015

The City of Love

This week, I had a little bit of a rough week. I wasn't feeling the best, and there was some Chicago drama going on. After class, I went to the Garden of Luxembourg to write and ponder a bit. A little bit in front of me, a gentleman dropped down on one knee with a big smile on his face, and asked an equally happy woman to spend the rest of her life with him. Me (somewhat sulking) started laughing. Absolutely cracking up. I started thinking about the irony that Paris is known as the city of love.

As far as manners go, I have found that it is rude not to say "bonjour" to EVERYONE. No matter how early it is, no matter how drunk you are, when you pass someone in close proximity or order anything, ALWAYS have a greeting first. This is even taken to the level that if you forget, they will wait till you finish talking, say "bonjour." then make you repeat it.

But gosh forbid you continue the conversation. I almost like that about french people. If you want to sit quietly on the side and observe, you do you. People watching is appreciated here.

But while you are sitting on the sidelines, people watching, you are sure to see a couple passionately making out. It is like the honey moon phase never dies here. You see couples who are AT LEAST in their 60's kissing and giggling on the metro on a regular basis! It baffles me. I mean, good for them. I can only hope to be that crazy about someone someday.

I just think that it is a little ironic that "The City of Love" is also stereotypically rude. Sometimes I want to ask couples how long they have been together. Is that childish love as superficial as the mandatory "bonjour," or does the openly accepted act of PDA make relationships happier for longer? Anyway, I looked up divorce rates for the US compared to France (couldn't find City- Specific).

55% of French marriages end in divorce

annnddd...

53% of U.S. marriages end in divorce.

I guess they are pretty equal, and I guess making out in the grass doesn't help...but it doesn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment